RAM Usage During Installation of Lubuntu (was: zRAM)

Iberê Fernandes ibere.fernandes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 03:54:09 UTC 2013

> Hi everybody,
>
> This discussion is about *really low RAM* according to today's standards
> for computers.
>
> Aere, you may be right. I have been thinking that many people, who want
> to use such old hardware are prepared to run a few text mode or terminal
> window commands, at least if they are guided to it from a tutorial or
> wiki page. Am a wrong?
>
> What about the alternate installer, is that easy enough to run (it's
> text, but in a very guided way)?

I' ve just tried the alternate installer instructions today:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO

The first link "here" at "Instructions
here<https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/installation-guide/i386/howto-installation.html>
 and here.<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/AlternateInstall>"
is 404. Can anybody tell me the correct link so I can fix it?

The second "here" links to:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/AlternateInstall

And  Karl video is linked on the page. It is extremely detailed/friendly to
get the message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-VPj4jzrg

Besides video, written instructions are ok too.

However, I believe navigation until the final instructions to the alternate
install is a bit tricky. It's just my opinion, but I invite you to check
where things begin:
1) suppose user starts here: http://lubuntu.net/

I'm not sure if our users start from 1. Do we track where are the main
distribution channels?

2) supose now that from 1) the user now needs the alternate installer and
he clicks at " Install<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu>
Lubuntu
on your computer and start..." will lead to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

3) great, on checklist section there's the alternate installer " If you
have any problems, or if you're comfortable using a keyboard interface, try
the alternate installer<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO>
"
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO

4) Humm, but no further instructions... a user needs another click at "
Instructions here<https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/installation-guide/i386/howto-installation.html>
 and here.<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/AlternateInstall>
"

Now, finally on the last "here", I got
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/AlternateInstall.

Let me try Google instead:
1) https://www.google.com.br/search?q=lubuntu+alternate+install

(I suppose the user knows what exactly query to type.) Do we know the
queries that lead to us/our installers?

2) on Google search results page, for me here in Brazil, the 5th link leads
to:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO

3) now the user must download and go to step 4 above.

Again, those are just my impressions of how I get the info you're talking
about. Just my 2 cents if usefull.

Cheers,
Iberê

PS:  I'll introduce myself in another thread once I've already talked too
much here. :)

> Are we losing many users because the desktop installer fails for many
> people, when there is low RAM? What about the chance to get a lot of
> computers converted to Lubuntu at the end of life of Windows XP? I think
> several of those computers have really low RAM.

Question: How do we track failed or successfull instalations? Besides the
examples (Ubiquity, slides) above, do we know where else on the
installation our users are giving up?

> In that case we should
>
> - make an automatic option to use swap or zRAM. This would be easy for
> the end user but hard for us to make it.
>
> - recommend a GUI method to prepare the system with swap. I'm thinking
> of running gparted before the installer. Is the easiest non-text method
> to activate the new swap to reboot? Newcomers are trained to reboot from
> Windows ;-) This is harder but still possible for those who just don't
> type commands in a terminal window, but easier for us (only a tutorial
> or wiki text about it).
>
> Best regards
> Nio

abs e bons estudos!