Internet Speed

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 18:36:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Aere Greenway <Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>wrote:

> On 06/03/2013 10:49 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
>> The one with full speed has Win 7 and Oracle VM so tested Lubuntu 12.04
>> on that VM and speed is fine.
>> On my test laptop, it is a multi boot system and all systems are the same.
>>
> Ali:
>
> When you access the internet from Linux (or whatever OS) from within
> VirtualBox, the Internet connection used is part of the emulation package,
> and is not (I believe) a valid test of accessing the Internet from a
> stand-alone OS not run in VirtualBox.
>
> In your case, the actual Internet connection is that of Windows 7, with
> some emulation software connecting it to your Linux within VirtuaBox.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Aere

Hello Aera,

Without debating and go any further/deeper, I was just trying to say, my
main Laptop with or without Linux, is showing the same download rate and
upload rate with very slight difference :)

Windows 7 is showing the real speed that it should be.
Linux, no matter what version of Lubuntu, is NOT.
When I connect my 802.11n USB WiFi Adapter, to my test laptop, the one with
the problem in speed, the speed is normal too.

The weird part, as I explained, the upload is triple the download speed on
my test laptop using the built in WiFi Adapter:

 *-network
       product: *PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection*
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci at 0000:02:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 02
       serial: 00:19:d2:b8:99:77
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet
physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes* driver=iwl3945*
*driverversion=3.5.0-32-generic
firmware=15.32.2.9* ip=x.x.x.x latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes *wireless=IEEE
802.11abg*
       resources: irq:43 memory:fdfff000-fdffffff

$ 3.5.0-32-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 29 20:22:58 UTC 2013 i686 i686
i686 GNU/Linux

Something is seriously wrong.

I didn't have the time actually to check the other systems on my test
laptop (Crunchbang and Xubuntu). I believe that won't make any difference
but I will check it anyway.

I can tell I'm the only one with this issue. I can tell no one faced the
same issue :D

But I will not give up, I will keep looking for a solution. I have:

Lubuntu 10.04
Lubuntu 12.04
Lubuntu 12.10
Lubuntu 13.04