Lubuntu Manual - Getting Started With Lubuntu

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 1 23:01:14 UTC 2013

On 06/01/2013 02:58 PM, Tong Sun wrote:

> OMG, it's 10x simpler. All you need is your text editor, and AsciiDoc
> of course.

If the manual you are trying to use as a starting point is already in
LaTeX, then the work of converting all of it correctly to any other
format is large.  That work is almost certainly not worth doing.

Look at the subject line of this thread.

The goal of the "offline documentation" component that was discussed at
UDS was, I thought, to base a printed Lubuntu Manual on the existing one
at http://ubuntu-manual.org/ -- which is written using LaTeX.

So, for that project, continuing to use LaTeX makes sense.

For me, I already know and have used HTML, DocBook, LaTeX, Markdown,
reStructuredText and a few wiki markup syntaxes as well ... so I am
*really* not that interested in learning yet another one of these markup
systems for the purpose of creating documentation :)

Incidentally, all of these can (of course) be written with "just your
text editor" and the formatter software for the system concerned, so
Asciidoc is not unique in that regard.

For the purposes of creating an Lubuntu Manual, my *strong*
recommendation is to use what the Ubuntu Manual is using -- LaTeX.  For
other new projects... pick one you like and stick with it :)

Can I suggest we make a decision and get started, rather than discussing
alternative formatting systems?  There is plenty of real documentation
work, if we truly want to get a manual done :)

Jonathan