RAM on Chromebooks (was: Re: Chromium vs Firefox : Need testimonies )

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 1 17:27:31 UTC 2013

On 06/01/2013 01:49 AM, Yorvyk wrote:

> A look at the specs for Chromebooks gives some idea of the power and
> RAM Google deems necessary to run Chrome in a useful fashion.

Yes and no... I run a full Ubuntu 12,04 + LXDE installation (using the
crouton script) in a chroot within ChromeOS on my XE303 Chromebook :) So
2GB is definitely enough RAM for more than just Chrome!

Incidentally, I think that size of machine is a really useful form
factor -- light and small, but with a decent enough screen and keyboard
that it is still usable.  I really like it, so far (I've only had it a
week or two).  I don't really like the ChromeOS "do everything in the
browser and cloud" concept, but putting it in Developer Mode and running
Ubuntu/LXDE takes care of that!

Jonathan