LibreOffice installs Java and opens a security risk?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Jul 18 22:16:08 UTC 2013

I forget if I asked this question some time back, but if I did, I don't
remember that the matter was settled.

I wanted to add LibreOffice to an installation for the sake of better MS
Office file compatibility and to gain a presentations program, but it
looks like LibreOffice will install Java.  It seems to me that this must
open a security risk.  But I recall also doing some reading that
indicated Java might be removed and most common LibreOffice functions
will work just fine (I think the notable exception being the Base database).

Can someone clarify/amplify?

--John