Print-to-PDF (cups-pdf package) not working?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Jan 20 00:46:35 UTC 2013

On 1/19/2013 7:05 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM, John Hupp <lubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:
>> In a new installation of Quantal, I find that the PDF printer driver
>> installed by cups-pdf is not working.
>>
>> Regular printing to an HP Laserjet under the hplip package works fine.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this?
> In my Lubuntu 12.10 installation, cups-pdf is not installed. However I
> can create a pdf file using printing, by selecting "Print to File" as
> the printer.
>
> Do you need cups-pdf?

Wow, you're right!  I didn't realize this capability was already there
without cups-pdf.  Without cups-pdf, my System: Printers utility only
shows my Laserjet, but I see that in a Print dialog with a file open,
"Print to file" is present and PDF is an output option.

(But it may be that cups-pdf actually was working.  It seems to have
been silently saving output to ~/PDF.)