User can't run nm-tool on 12.10 system

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Jan 13 16:14:38 UTC 2013

On 1/13/2013 7:01 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 03:00:06PM -0500, John Hupp wrote:
>>     On 1/12/2013 10:27 AM, Chris Green wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>>   However it works fine when run as the root user.
>>
>>   A further symptom of the same thing (I think) is that the Network Manager applet is
>>   non-functional, the icon is there on the panel but it just tells me "Network Manager
>>   is not running...".  However Network Manager is running and I do have an internet
>>   connection.
>>

>>     Did you configure the network using Network Manager or editing
>>     /etc/network/interfaces?  If the latter then my experience is that Network
>>     Manager won't work right.
>>
> It has probably been done by a mix of Network Manager and direct editing
> over quite a long time.
>
> If this is the cause do you have any idea how to get back to a
> "completely controlled by Network Manager" situation?

In /etc/network/interfaces, comment out all the stanzas except the first
one for the loopback adapter.

If nothing else has been changed, Network Manager should then take over.

But for my purposes I also needed this work-around for one bit of bad
behavior by a dnsmasq TFTP server: In /etc/dnsmasq.d/network-manager
replace the "bind-interfaces" line with a "bind-dynamic" line.  You may
not need this.