[Lubuntu] Evaluation of presentation programs?

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 01:38:56 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 3:11 AM, John Hupp <lubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:
> I know about LibreOffice Impress as a mature product.  I have read a little
> about Ease (very new and rather rough at last report, not in the main repos,
> requires 3D support by the video driver and therefore often the proprietary
> video driver).
>
> What are my best options for a presentations program that is:
> - very solid and reliable
> - well documented
> - can produce presentations in a format that can be viewed by people who
> only have PowerPoint

A suggestion: We must not forget that "people who have only MS
Office", can always install the latest version of LibreOffice for
free. So, if we suggest them to install LibreOffice, they may do so.

A useful link:

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

> - and /preferably/ is also light without a ton of dependencies

Apart from LibreOffice/OpenOffice, the free-in-price Microsoft Office
Web Apps in Skydrive work OK using Google Chrome in Linux.

They are not Free Software, however if the Presentation recipients
want to use Powerpoint only, and you do not want to use LibreOffice,
they work OK.

You need a hotmail/outlook.com account to use them. If you have such
an account, log into the following site, using Google Chrome:
https://skydrive.live.com.

Also you may have a look at Google Drive. This is what I use myself.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com