[Lubuntu] Permanently delete user Public folders?

P Bielecki pawciobiel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 21:58:49 UTC 2013

23.02.2013 20:44, John Hupp:
> I understand that the Public folder for each user is a vestige of
> other/older implementations that employed the Personal File Sharing tool
> (gnome-user-share).  It gives the impression of being like a Windows
> "Shared Documents folder but does not function as such.
>
> It can be deleted, but something restores it again.
>
> Does anyone know how to permanently delete this for each/all users?

Hi John,

I think the mentioned dirs are created at user login by
/usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-update
executed from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/60xdg-user-dirs-update

Have a look in /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf and try setting
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR=""
or perhaps
enabled=False

or changing content of the following for each individual user:
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

I hope this helps.

cheers!
--