What version of Boost is installed ? Where is boost/geometry ?

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 23 03:54:33 UTC 2013

On 02/21/2013 08:57 AM, Paul Blampspied wrote:

> I can't make out which Boost libraries are installed.  Synaptic
> clearly shows libboost-all-dev is installed and the indicated version
> is 1.48.0.2.

Precise has packages for libboost 1.4.6 and 1.48.  I think
libboost-all-dev pulls in the default libboost for Precise, which is
1.46.  If you want 1.48, install that version.  See below.

> I want to use boost/geometry and this is not included in boost
> 1.46, but it IS in 1.48.  The installation from Synaptic does not seem
> to bring in Geometry, so is it Boost 1.46 or Boost 1.48 ?

Synaptic (vs apt-get or any other package manager) is irrelevant here,
the contents of the packages being installed are what matters.

libboost-all-dev itself contains no code, no actual libraries.  It does
depend on a pile of other liboost* packages, some of which may well do
so.  See

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libboost-all-dev

or type the command

  apt-cache show libboost-all-dev |grep Depends:

for details of that.

I strongly suspect that some of the default meta packages depend on 1.46
versions of the underlying library packages, but if you want 1.48
versions, those are in fact packaged for Precise too, you just need to
install them more specifically.

> A second (related) question.  Does anybody know if the latest version
> of Boost, 1.53 works in Lubuntu 12.04,

No idea.

> or if there is a straightforward way of getting the Geometry package.

Just install the package you actually want :)

I think that is libboost1.48-dev , and its dependencies.  This package
includes files such as /usr/include/boost/geometry/geometry.hpp which is
probably what you are looking for.

Installing libboost1.48-all-dev would also work fine, it just installs
more of the other (optional) libboost component libraries too.

Jonathan