A few Lubuntu Menu things...

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 19:15:37 UTC 2013

Do you mean executing something like leafpad (geany/gedit, etc...) to
open the config file?  I was talking more about CLI only apps... I
totally understand making a desktop file for a config file that you use
a lot.
Do you make icons for them as well?

On 12/30/2013 12:53 PM, Jordan wrote:
> I've found it useful to create desktop files that point to
> configuration files.  I can't remember where these files are when I
> need them most and I'm too lazy to use commands to track down the
> files.  I'd rather not create aliases or write up shell scripts when
> desktop files are simpler to create for an ad hoc situation.
>
> A gui (whatever your flavor) is there because it does certain things
> better than the console.  It's harder to visualize files spatially
> without Thunar or similar gui file manager.
>
> Jordan
>
> On 12/30/2013 01:34 PM, Israel wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> I will try to get an idea of where the major disconnect is here.
>> As Aere Greenway pointed out some time ago, some applications are
>> command line only, so I think some small percentage of these *could* be
>> related to that, but I also think making a desktop file for a non-GUI
>> app is almost pointless, at least for me.  If I want to use grep, I
>> wouldn't want to launch it from the applications menu, unless it was
>> some sort of GUI app.  I'd rather be able to pass arguments to it, and
>> flip back through the previous commands, use other things in a chain
>> with it, etc...  Though there may be a small set of programs that might
>> be useful to run from the menu that are command line only
>>

>> On 12/30/2013 09:03 AM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
>>> E-Book Viewer (no icon)
>>> Icon=calibre
>>> EBView
>>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/ebview.xpm
>>> Edfhed (no icon)
>>> [Icon line missing completely]
>>> EDFviewer
>>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/pymca.xpm
>>> eFTE (no icon)
>>> Icon=efte
>>> Elementsinfo
>>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/pymca.xpm
>>> Email-Reminder (no icon)
>>> [Icon line missing completely]
>>> Ember (no icon)
>>> Icon=ember
>>> EMBOSS Explorer (no icon)
>>> Icon=emboss-explorer
>>> Emerillon (no icon)
>>> Icon=emerillon
>>> Emilia Pinball
>>> Icon=pinball.xpm
>>> emu8051 (no icon)
>>> [Icon line missing completely]
>>> Esperanza (no icon)
>>> Icon=xmms2
>>> eToys
>>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/activity-etoys.xpm
>>> Euler
>>> Icon=euler-32.xpm