Some help is highly appreciated :)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 01:44:01 UTC 2013

I was given a laptop with a similar graphics card
RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
It was overheating and shutting down in a bad way.
So I took it apart and cleaned out the ball of dust clogging the vent.
I then got a little usb powered cooling tray, and I haven't had any
problems since.

Of course I also installed the laptop stuff as well, like
laptop-mode-tools
powertop
oh, and tlp
http://ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu

I use qupzilla for my main browser now (since it starts about 4-7
seconds faster than firefox).  It handles most stuff fairly well.  I
have only had minimal issues, no show stoppers unlike Midori did around
11.10.  It is by far the fastest starting browser I have used.

So I'd suggest using an external fan after you take apart the laptop and
clean it out.  And using qupzilla as well as some laptop programs.

The beep sound is most likely one of a few things.  I had an issue where
my laptop needed the BIOS updated, and after doing so it fixed many
problems. It could be that your battery is dead and the BIOS checks the
status of the battery, and if it is empty (or uncharged) it will beep.
I had a faulty cord so my battery didn't charge and would beep if it was
unplugged, and would give an error if it was plugged in.
I have a power cord that fits most laptops that I use to test computers
I get, it might be a useful investment for you.

Go check the manufacturers website to see if the BIOS version is the
most up-to-date version.  If not you may have to install Windows (or
FreeDOS if you are lucky enough to have a computer that can flash BIOS
updates from DOS) to update the BIOS.

Hope you get it working....