A few Lubuntu Menu things...

Thu Dec 19 17:30:06 UTC 2013

On 12/19/2013 07:09 AM, Israel wrote:
> On 12/19/2013 01:20 AM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
>> Larger than normal (or no) icons for shortcuts/.desktop entry files in
>> menu/Desktop - All apps (beginning with the letter "A" anyway)
>> installed through LSC.

>> Abe's Amazing Adventure
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/abe.xpm
>> Aconnectgui
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/aconnectgui.xpm
>> Advanced Strategic Command (no icon)
>> Icon=asc
>> alevt (no icon)
>> Icon=alevt
>> AltOS UI
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/altusmetrum.xpm
>> Alleyoop Memory Checker (no icon)
>> Icon=alleyoop
>> Alsamixergui
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/alsamixergui.xpm
>> Alsaplayer (no icon)
>> Icon=alsaplayer
>> Amora Daemon (no icon)
>> Icon=amora
>> Anagramarama (no icon)
>> Icon=
>> Apitrace Retracer
>> [Icon line missing completely]
>> Artemis
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/artemis.xpm
>> Athena
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/athena.xpm
>> apvlv
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/apvlv/apvlv.xpm
>> ARC Certificate Utility (no icon)
>> Icon=system-config-authentication
>> ARC Job Submission Tool (no icon)
>> Icon=system-config-authentication
>> ARC Proxy Generator (no icon)
>> Icon=system-config-authentication
>> Aqualung
>> Icon=aqualung.xpm
>> AutoRenamer (no icon)
>> [Icon line missing completely]
>> Atris (no icon)
>> [Icon line missing completely]
>> Attal
>> Icon=
>>
>> Childsplay
>> Icon=logo_cp_32x32.xpm
>> Dr.geo
>> Icon=drgeo_32x32.xpm
>> Linux Letters and Numbers
>> Icon=lletters.xpm
>> Mobile Atlas Creator
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/mobile-atlas-creator/mobac.xpm
>>
>> Eric
>>
> woah... that is amazing!  Thanks!!

Israel, and all:

I wonder if we can do something now to keep this problem from getting
larger.

As a developer (and long-time Linux user), I really don't know what I
need to provide as an icon for my application.

What I did (which works fine in all the Linux distributions I have
tested my application in), was to look at other applications, and
provide what they provided.

Yet there is a lot of variability apparent in that 'looking at other
applications'.

Some applications provide icons of 3 different sizes.  Some provide SVG
format icons.  Most provide a single PNG format icon.

The icons you supply are different sizes when shown on the desktop, in
the menu, and in the task-bar, even when only one size is supplied.

The icon you place in the title-bar of the application (if the title-bar
is used) needs to be such a small size that what is intuitively
understandable as a normal-size icon, is not readable at the smaller
size (I ended up having two different, though same color-scheme) icons
for the small (title-bar) size, as opposed to the normal (menu and
desktop) icon size.

What I ended up supplying, was a single 64x64 (pixel) icon, in the PNG
format.  And that seems to work in the various contexts it is used
(including the task-bar).   But mine is not supplied as a Debian
package, but rather, Java Web-Start sorts it out in creating a desktop
launcher, which my installer then copies to where the menu launchers are
expected.

My case is further complicated in that the size may have been dictated
by the Java Network Launch Protocol (JNLP) specification.

Do any of you know where a standard of what needs to be supplied in the
way of icons is documented (at least, for Debian packages)?  If there
is, is there a way of making its existence more visible to new developers?

--
Sincerely,
Aere