Box Icon Theme

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 03:11:56 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 08:47 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 07:31 PM, Israel wrote:
>>> Israel:
>>>
>>> Java (a different language from JavaScript) cannot directly support
>>> '.svg' graphics.  The '.jpg' and '.png' work fine.  This is true for
>>> Java's Swing (and AWT) GUI.  I don't know if the same is true for
>>> Spring.
>>>
>> I didn't know that about Java, that seems really unfortunate as SVG's
>> are great (they are vector based so the do not become pixelated).  I am
>> not sure exactly what you are saying by your e-mail, though...  Are you
>> saying the box icon theme should also have png files, or are you saying
>> that for web use it is not possible to use it with Java.  I don't use
>> Java (yet), I use JavaScript, which can be coded directly into SVG
>> files, and can be used to manipulate the SVG, and whatever else...  I
>> have only experimented a little with the capabilities, but since SVG is
>> in XML format, all JavaScript should theoretically be possible (even
>> calling an external script), though I have not tried this yet, though
>> maybe others on this list have and know whether it is possible or not.
>>
> Israel:
>
> I was merely pointing out something surprising that I learned.
>
> In attempting to display icons in a Java Swing application of
> installed components, though most of the component had '.png' icons,
> some of them had '.svg' icons.  The '.svg' icons could not be
> displayed by the application, but the '.png' icons were displayed
> properly.  Fortunately, most of the icons were '.png'.
>
> In spite of the virtues of '.svg' icons you were pointing out, like
> with so many things, there is a down-side, and the down-side here is
> something few of you would likely be aware of.

Ok, thanks for the insight.  I have yet to get in to Java, though once I
am fully comfortable and familiar with the languages I am currently
pursuing, I may move to using Java a bit too... it seems much of the
syntax is very similar to C++ (and JavaScript), though each language has
its quirks.  I will try to remember that about svg.  It seems strange
that Java can't support svg.  There might be some sort of library for
supporting svg, because Android uses Java, and it seems like there must
be support for it, as some apps can create (and display) svg on
android... but maybe Android allows apps to be programmed in many
languages, and those apps are not Java.
Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your experience and wisdom, it
is much needed, and not just for me, I know many others benefit from
your input here!!

--
Regards