Box Icon Theme

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 02:31:06 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 07:54 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 03:26 PM, Israel wrote:
>> Yeah I really like SVG graphics....  I looked into the Lubuntu icons
>> folder and saw that they are all svg files, so apparently LXDE does
>> indeed support svg.  SVG has a lot of other great uses, like the web,
>> and integrating JavaScript directly into the SVG.  If you like SVG
>> art, you should check out OpenClipArt.org
>> It might be worth submitting the icon set (once it is finished) to
>> Open Clip Art as long as it can be released as public domain.
>> I also might submit a Template, though I think it would be more
>> appropriate if Rafael submitted it, since he is the resident artist :)
> Israel:
>
> Java (a different language from JavaScript) cannot directly support
> '.svg' graphics.  The '.jpg' and '.png' work fine.  This is true for
> Java's Swing (and AWT) GUI.  I don't know if the same is true for Spring.

I didn't know that about Java, that seems really unfortunate as SVG's
are great (they are vector based so the do not become pixelated).  I am
not sure exactly what you are saying by your e-mail, though...  Are you
saying the box icon theme should also have png files, or are you saying
that for web use it is not possible to use it with Java.  I don't use
Java (yet), I use JavaScript, which can be coded directly into SVG
files, and can be used to manipulate the SVG, and whatever else...  I
have only experimented a little with the capabilities, but since SVG is
in XML format, all JavaScript should theoretically be possible (even
calling an external script), though I have not tried this yet, though
maybe others on this list have and know whether it is possible or not.