Mini Ubuntu Project (AKA Mubuntu)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 13:51:29 UTC 2013

On 12/17/2013 07:38 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Hello Israel :)
>
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com
> <mailto:israeldahl at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/17/2013 07:17 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>>
>>     On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Lars Noodén
>>     <lars.nooden at gmail.com <mailto:lars.nooden at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 12/17/2013 02:47 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>>         > Note: the name might be change later so don't pay much
>>         attention to the
>>         > name, but the idea itself :)
>>         >
>>         > Hello,
>>         >
>>         > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130718
>>         >
>>         > Myself and Nio have teamed up to work on this project so
>>         I'd like to invite
>>         > ANYONE who would like to join us ... he/she is more than
>>         welcome to join :)
>>         >
>>         > Everything should be explained on the above thread.
>>         >
>>         > If you have any Q, please do ask :)
>>         >
>>         > Thank you!
>>
>>         The level of user this might be targeting would also be able
>>         to install
>>         the minimal CD, add lubuntu-core plus any specific
>>         applications they
>>         want.  Maybe this project is better as a short HowTo on the net
>>         somewhere or as a short article in some Linux publication.
>>          Have you
>>         tried selling the idea as an article to them?
>>
>>         Regards,
>>         /Lars
>>
>>         --
>>

>>     Hello Lars,
>>
>>     Myself and guess Nio too are serious to have an installable
>>     system that should be 'lighter' than Lubuntu and 'more simple'
>>     than Lubuntu. We might have two versions, one with OBI (One
>>     Button Installer) and other version. First version will be based
>>     on Ubuntu 12.04 and the later versions can be based on Ubuntu
>>     14.04 but it is too early for that now.
>>
>>     This project is not meant as a HOWTO, there is an ISO and
>>     everything :)
>>
>>     http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/12/minimal-ubuntu-aka-mubuntu.html
>>
>>     Thank you!
>>
>>     --
>>     Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>     Best Regards,
>>     amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>>     Areas of Involvement
>>     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>
>>     My Projects <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>
>>

>     Have you heard of Puppy Linux before?
>

> Of course I have :)

Every long time GNU/Linux user has had to have heard of/used Puppy at
least once.

>     Barry, the guy who does it has been toying around with the idea of
>     making a way to convert an ubuntu install to Puppy style.
>

> Puppy is independent - http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Puppy
> So, it seems he is trying to do what you just described :)

Yeah... there are Puppy versions based off of Ubuntu, and in fact there
is an LTS version (Precise Puppy)

>     I think that would be the best place to go to do that.
>

> You mean team up with him?

He is stepping down, but you could work towards moving Puppy into the
Ubuntu ecosystem, and incorporating all the work they have done to make
a lighter distro.

>     JWM is much lighter than Lubuntu, but it needs to be manually
>     configured in Ubuntu to even have a panel and window
>     decorations(Puppy has some really incredible scripts that update
>     the menu, and change the WM theme).
>

> You mean lighter than LXDE not Lubuntu because Lubuntu is a system not
> DE nor WM :)

Yes, sorry, I was typing excitedly...  JWM is the WM, Rox handles the
desktop icons, so I should have said something different.

>     It also runs inside memory and they have scripts to 'trim the fat'
>     from packages.
>

> I think I have heard about that :)

It is pretty incredible how much space it can save.

>     It can run very fast on very old hardware.
>     I might be worth the effort to get involved with bringing Puppy's
>     goodies to Ubuntu, so you can make a Lubuntu lighter with a few
>     scripts, or you can even use JWM if you have an old computer.
>

> But, I am not trying to create a spin of Lubuntu or something, this is
> something different and has different path and vision. Basically, this
> project suppose to be lighter than Lubuntu and simpler :) also, it
> should be LTS, unlike Lubuntu 12.04 which is outdated already.

Only the LXDE part is outdated, right?  The rest of the core Ubuntu
stuff is up-to-date, and the Lubuntu specifics to LXDE don't get
security fixes, etc... but Firefox stays up to date, the kernel, etc...
receive Ubuntu security updates.

>     I always keep a copy of Puppy around, it generally weighs in at
>     around 200MB for a decent install with some extras.
>

> I didn't like the interface when I checked it last time. For me, I
> like SliTaz better.

Yes, but you could integrate the scripts to trim down a Lubuntu install,
and still keep the beauty of LX(DE/Qt) while having a tiny install, and
the OS running in memory (possibly... not sure how much LXDE would take
up, I think there are Puppy spins that use it)

Contact Barry and see what you guys can figure out.  Both of these
projects (Lubuntu/Puppy) have made a huge impact on my enjoyment of
GNU/Linux.
http://bkhome.org/news/?do=contact