Lubuntu freezing

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 15:12:21 UTC 2013

On 29.08.2013 18:07, John Hupp wrote:
> On 8/29/2013 10:22 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> On 29.08.2013 16:53, John Hupp wrote:
>>> Following Leszek's thought about the kernel: if it is happening several
>>> times a day, can you boot to an earlier kernel for the next couple days?
>> I can try that if I can get an old kernel or two back on the system.
>>
>> The older kernels are gone from my system, even APT's cache.  I've
>> looked around a bit and tried a few things but can't find where to get
>> the old kernels manually.  How do I get at them? apt -f seems not to be
>> the right way:
>>
>>     $ sudo apt-get -f install linux-image-3.11.0-3-generic
>>     Reading package lists... Done
>>     Building dependency tree
>>     Reading state information... Done
>>     linux-image-3.11.0-3-generic is already the newest version.
>>     0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 46 not upgraded.
>>
>> Regards,
>> /Lars
>>
> So you *upgraded* to Saucy and the older kernels are no longer
> available?  (On PC architecture at least, holding down the Shift key
> during boot causes the Grub menu to appear with an Advanced option, and
> choosing that brings up all previously-installed kernels available for
> boot.)

It was a fresh install of Saucy a few weeks ago.  I've done updates with
APT daily.  Probably one of the times I ran 'apt-get autoremove' purged
the old kernel(s).  They used to be there a while ago, but right now I
have only the one kernel in place.  I've seen the Advanced option in
grub and used it in the past to select older kernels, but right now the
question is how to get one of the old kernels back on the disk.  I could
not find the .deb file in the archive.

	http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/

Maybe it's there and I don't know the right directory.

Regards,
/Lars