Lubuntu 13.04: mysterious occurrence of icons appearing to be dragged

Iberê Fernandes ibere.fernandes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:37:54 UTC 2013

2013/8/26 Iberê Fernandes <ibere.fernandes at gmail.com>

> 2013/8/26 Nik Th <nikth at gmx.com>

I have something in mind but I'm not able to test right now. If you have
some time... check the instructions below:

Once some fellows could reproduce the ghost with other software such as
Kwin, Nautilus, Caja and Pantheon File, can someone do the following, pls?

Disable PCManFM from managing your desktop.

Open your terminal:

gksudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart

Comment the @pcmanfm by putting an exclamation mark in front e.g:
!@pcmanfm --desktop --profile lubuntu

If you notice, the @ is actually the one causing the pcmanfm to be respawn
if you killed pcmanfm process.

If you reboot now, you will be left with blank desktop (without wallpaper).
Don’t worry.

After rebooting, you'll see there's no pcmanfm process running in the
background. So now you're sure PCManFM is not managing your desktop
anymore. Openbox is managing your desktop from now on.

With Openbox managing your desktop, you won't be able to add
icons/files/folders to the desktop. There's some software you need to
install to make it possible but I don't remember which one right now.

After installing the software I don't remember, can you try playing with
icons on the desktop in order to check if the bug is there?

@Rafael Laguna, If you're using Nautilus, I believe (not sure though) you
could make Nautilus manage your desktop instead of PCManFM. Could you give
it a try to see if the ghost bug persists? Just make sure there's no
PCManFM process running in the backrground managing your desktop, ok?

Thank you guys!
Iberê