Audacious and MIDI files

Sun Aug 25 17:08:02 UTC 2013

On 08/25/2013 02:57 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:
> Thanks for that.  The Fluidsynth plugin for VLC worked on the first try.
>   Audacious, or something it depends on, seems to be lacking in some way.
Lars:

I applaud the VLC developers in their efforts to make their application
so easy to use, that it worked for me (and you) on the first try.

It's a bit more work to get Audacious to work.  You actually have to
configure a soundfont for it.

In Audacious, click:

File...Preferences

In the dialog that appears, click the "Plugins" entry in the left pane,
then click the "Input" tab.

In the right pane, click on the "AMIDI-Plug (MIDI Player)" entry (making
sure it is checked).

Then click the "Preferences" button at the bottom.

In the dialog that appears, in the left pane, click the "FluidSynth
backend" entry.  The information displayed will change.

In the "SoundFont settings" pane, there probably will be no soundfont
file displayed.

Click the "+" button (upper right) to add one.

In the window that appears, browse to "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/" and click
on the FluidR3_GM.sf2" file, then click the "Open" button (bottom right).

If you're tight on computer RAM space, the "TimGM6mb.sf2" file would be
a good alternative.

Whew!

What a lot to go through to get this to work!

As a general observation (my opinion), Linux developers are great at
creating wonderful software tools, but are not so good at making them
easy to use, or in documenting how to use them.

I hope when people start seeing my new software (coming soon to an
Internet near you), that the will think better of me regarding ease of
use, and documentation of the software.

--
Sincerely,
Aere