[Lubuntu-comms] alternatives at Lubuntu 12.04 end of life

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 08:06:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Lubuntu 12.04 will soon reach its end of life. I would try alternatives
> in the following order.
>

> 1. Lubuntu 13.04 and Lubuntu 13.10 (to be released very close to 12.04
> end of life). Lubuntu 13.10 will have zRAM, which is good for low RAM.
> It is developing well, several bugs of 13.04 are fixed, and I think it
> will be a nice experience. Both of these versions can run with fake-PAE
> for Celeron M and Pentium M computers.
>

> 2. Ubuntu 12.04 versions/derivatives with LTS until April 2017
>
> If some important driver for your computer is missing in 13.04 and
> 13.10, because that hardware has been abandoned by newer Ubuntu
> versions, the best alternatives are
>
> - LXLE by ronniew alias Mr Wislr
>

> http://lxle.net/index.php?id=articles&post=lxle-paradigm-goes-final-with-12043-update
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/files/Current%20Release/
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2125764&page=8&p=12762338#post12762338
>
> and
>
> - PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks by kansasnoob alias Lance
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks
>

> 3. Other alternatives with security updates
>
> - Xubuntu is also good but has only long time support until April 2015.
>
> - Lubuntu 12.10 has end of life in April 2014, at the same time as the
> next long time support version, Lubuntu 14.04.
>

> 4. A possible alternative, where you will be on your own
>
> You can keep Lubuntu 12.04 although it will be only partially supported.
> You will be on your own, trying to keep your software up to date. This
> is a security issue and there is also a small risk that some not updated
> package will break due to updates of other packages after the end of
> life of Lubuntu 12.04. See this link
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1954702&p=11829724#post11829724
>

> *. Backup your system. Try some versions live if possible (even if you
> would need the alternate iso to install later on). And when you have
> found your favourite, go ahead and install it. An alternative is to try
> an 'installed system on a USB drive' according to this link.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstalledSystemFakePAE
>

> Best regards
> Nio

Hi Nio,

Thank you for your email :)

Just to highlight a very important point: LXLE is NO longer Lubuntu LTS
version. Check the other thread Phill and I have sent.

Those who want to use LXLE, they need to understand it is NOT Lubuntu with
LTS. It is a community spin that is based on Ubuntu/Lubuntu.

Thank you!

--
*Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
*Best Regards,