PCManFM bookmarks not being respected by other applications on Lubuntu 13.04

Augustine Souza aesouza2008 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 02:32:20 UTC 2013

A few points ...

I tried to use the symlink trick described here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2165583&p=12747210#post12747210
and
http://askubuntu.com/a/329179/25656.

 ln -s /home/username/.gtk-bookmarks /home/username/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks

While it work perfectly during a session, the symlink did not survive a
reboot on my laptop (Lubuntu 13.04). ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks was
created afresh upon reboot.

I see the difference in side pane contents (bookmarks) not just with
PCManFM but also when Thunar is the file manager and Xfce is handling the
desktop on what is otherwise Lubuntu 13.04.

It's puzzling that gtk 2 apps such as Leafpad have their bookmarks stored
in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks. While Firefox and LibreOffice may not be
"pure" gtk 2, they aren't gtk3 and their bookmarks are stored in
~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks as well.

It would be interesting to know if the same issue is present in other
Ubuntu Flavors.