Did anyone refile bug for Flash Player shows green/purple in compressed window?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed Aug 7 23:04:39 UTC 2013

On 8/7/2013 4:26 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> On 08/07/2013 01:28 PM, John Hupp wrote:

>>> John:
>>>
>>> I reported that it affects me, as well.
>>>
>> Hi, Aere.
>>
>> I did too -- in the above bug.  But that bug is now closed and
>> presumably getting no attention from developers.  Are you just saying
>> that you reported in the above bug that it affects you too, or are
>> you referring to a different bug report?
>>
>> --John
>>
> John:
>
> Sorry - I was just thinking that the bug was not getting attention
> because of lack of impact on users.
>
> Not being able to even watch YouTube videos on these machines (in
> addition to the choppy color gradients), led me to conclude that Linux
> is abandoning all of these machines because of their older Intel
> graphics.
>
> I have a newer machine (a Dell Inspiron 620) with Intel graphics that
> works just fine.  But all of my older Dell machines have the problem.
>
> So I said a few appropriate words (not appropriate to repeat here),
> and looked into getting NVIDIA cards for the machines I need to go
> forward into the future with.
>
> Where it was the kernel developers abandoning these machines, it seems
> I have no choice.  What can Lubuntu do if the graphics of all these
> machines has been dumped by the kernel developers (those same
> developers who would not even consider a minor change for supporting
> fake-PAE)?
>
> Eventually, I will get the useful parts from these machines, and
> discard them.  I can still use them for testing my new software (for
> the time being).
>
> Who knows what machines they will condemn to the trash heap in the
> next release...
>
> I was sort of hoping against all odds that Ubuntu's new graphics
> handler might support the graphics of these machines, but given their
> track-record, the odds are definitely against it.

For what it's worth, I have just found that the workaround detailed in
Comment #1 in the bug report
(http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1178982) does
work.  On my system there was no existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, so I
created it and added the specified lines as the sole content of the file.

The colors and the proper window size were restored.  This Dell has an
Intel 845G chipset, so this workaround may fix this problem on any
motherboard with the same chipset (or even other Intel chipsets that use
the same Intel driver).

Verging strictly off-topic, but remaining with the question of getting
Flash to work decently well:

On this former XP machine with a Celeron 2.4 GHz and 1 GB RAM, YouTube
videos in the default window size and playing at 360p seemed to perform
normally.  Likewise, video from Hulu can be set to a lower quality to
help assure continuous play.  But video from Vimeo can only be set to
HD-Off (if HD is available).  And with video from the broadcast network
sites CBS.com, NBC.com and ABC.com, you can only change screen size.  So
it seems that videos from Vimeo, CBS, NBC and ABC offer very little
accommodation for lower-spec setups. And relatedly, I find that video
that plays OK on a Windows PC with a dual core Intel E2200 @ 2.20 GHz --
even with just 1.3 Mbps download on my DSL service -- plays badly on the
2.4 GHz Celeron using the same Internet connection.  So in this case
processing power is more important than Internet connection speed.

2.4 GHz is the minimum required spec for Flash (the last I knew), but
perhaps that merely means that you'll be able to play *something* (like
YouTube or Hulu videos at a lower-quality setting), not that you'll be
able to play everything.

Does anyone know if there is a way to lower the quality settings for
sites like Vimeo, CBS, NBC and ABC, even if there is no quality-setting
tool in the player interface?  (Or does anyone differ with the
assessment I offer above?)