Did anyone refile bug for Flash Player shows green/purple in compressed window?

Wed Aug 7 20:26:35 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013 01:28 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> On 8/7/2013 3:11 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
>> On 08/07/2013 12:08 PM, John Hupp wrote:
>>> There was this helpful bug report on file at
>>> http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1178982.
>>>
>>> It described behavior on Dell PC's with integrated Intel graphics,
>>> in which Adobe Flash Player would display only with shades of purple
>>> and green in a horizontally compressed window (or at least that's
>>> how I would describe what I see on a Dell Dimension 2400).
>>>
>>> The work-around (Comment #1) was to change the Xorg acceleration
>>> method to UXA.
>>>
>>> But the bug was closed because the OP didn't have possession of the
>>> machine anymore.
>>>
>>> I have not been able to find an active refile of the bug.  Is there
>>> one?  (I'd like to vote it up!)
>>>
>>> --John
>>>
>> John:
>>
>> I reported that it affects me, as well.
>>
> Hi, Aere.
>
> I did too -- in the above bug.  But that bug is now closed and
> presumably getting no attention from developers.  Are you just saying
> that you reported in the above bug that it affects you too, or are you
> referring to a different bug report?
>
> --John

John:

Sorry - I was just thinking that the bug was not getting attention
because of lack of impact on users.

Not being able to even watch YouTube videos on these machines (in
addition to the choppy color gradients), led me to conclude that Linux
is abandoning all of these machines because of their older Intel graphics.

I have a newer machine (a Dell Inspiron 620) with Intel graphics that
works just fine.  But all of my older Dell machines have the problem.

So I said a few appropriate words (not appropriate to repeat here), and
looked into getting NVIDIA cards for the machines I need to go forward
into the future with.

Where it was the kernel developers abandoning these machines, it seems I
have no choice.  What can Lubuntu do if the graphics of all these
machines has been dumped by the kernel developers (those same developers
who would not even consider a minor change for supporting fake-PAE)?

Eventually, I will get the useful parts from these machines, and discard
them.  I can still use them for testing my new software (for the time
being).

Who knows what machines they will condemn to the trash heap in the next
release...

I was sort of hoping against all odds that Ubuntu's new graphics handler
might support the graphics of these machines, but given their
track-record, the odds are definitely against it.

--
Sincerely,
Aere