[Lubuntu-qa] make new Lubuntu versions cooperate with Pentium M

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 13:53:14 UTC 2013

Hi Iberê,

Different persons have different advice about Lubuntu 12.04 after
end-of-life in October 2013. My advice is to get something else, for
example Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, that is receiving security updates for all
the packages until April 2015. Lubuntu will not get it for the Lubuntu
specific packages (those not included in any of the LTS versions). So
there is an increased security risk, probably very small, but increased.

- If your son is not connected to the internet, no worries.

- If your son is very careful with the internet, probably OK

- But if he is curious and might open pages and files, that might carry
an infection or trigger an infection, the defence might not be
completely up to date in Lubuntu 12.04 after October.

Nobody knows (it does not help much to be a developer, maybe helps more
to be a security expert) and in the end it is your own decision if you
can live with that slightly(?) increased risk.

     -o-

I have a Lubuntu Raring instance to run with at least the later Pentium
M cpus. I will try to describe it and upload somewhere within the near
future. Right now it is on a USB 3 pendrive, installed from the Lubuntu
Raring desktop iso in a modern computer and tested in my IBM Thinkpad
T42 with Pentium M 1,7 GHz.

I'm not sure if a Celeron M banias 1200 mhz can run well with it. You
would need to check, that

cat /proc/cpuinfo

reports 36 bit physical address size

But we are not there yet.