Problems Updating Lubuntu 12.04, 12.10, and 13.04 on Slow Machines

Thu Apr 25 04:09:32 UTC 2013

On 04/23/2013 06:10 AM, Yorvyk wrote:
> On 13/04/13 18:28, Aere Greenway wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> I have been observing a problem where on slow (450 megahertz) machines,
>> the software updater window disappears, and the updates are applied in
>> the background, with no notification of completion.

>> On slow machines, the method of applying software updates is broken, and
>> not something an ordinary user can deal with, or use with any real
>> chance of success.
>>
>> If you can't update your system, then you system is not supported -
>> despite what the website may claim.
>>
>> I have submitted a bug-report for this, but it has been declared
>> "invalid" because my machine doesn't have a speed of 1 gigahertz, with 1
>> gigabytes of RAM - despite the fact that I was using Lubuntu.
>>
>> Here is a link to the bug-report:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1159589 Title: When applying software
>> updates, updater window disappears
>>
> Have you tried Update-manager lately here seems to be some
> improvements and it appears to be behaving as it should on both 12.10
> and Raring Ringtail although there doesn't seem to be any patches
> relating to this problem.

Yorvyk, and all:

I tried applying updates on Lubuntu 12.10 on my 450 megahertz machine,
and for the first time ever (in my experience), the window showing the
packages being downloaded (and later updates being applied) appeared,
and did not go away until I dismissed it on completion of updating.

If a fix of some sort is responsible for this working, it has not made
its way to UbuntuStudio 12.04, since I also tried it there (on the 450
megahertz machine), but the problem is still evident.

I posted these results to the bug report.

--
Sincerely,
Aere