Intel Graphics on 13.04

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 09:21:06 UTC 2013

[Sent again to add that the installed systems have version 12.04

I agree with Ali's broadcast message, that we should keep systems that
are working until end of life, particularly on old hardware.]

Hi Aere and Ali,

I'm testing the same graphics problem in an old IBM Thinkcentre with

'VGA compatible controller, Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])'.

The driver reported by lshw is the same as yours Ali, i915. And I have
the same ugly background picture rendering as Aere. I suspect it is
falling back to 256 colours.

I have tried with some vga boot options, but it does not help. The
plymouth splash screen looks good (no colour artifacts) but the Lubuntu
wallpaper is bad. Some of the other wallpapers look good though, for
example on with a fish.
-----
The Lubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu desktops of version 12.04 (with and
without LTS) are installed and work well in this computer, where my son
is also playing CD games in Windows XP.

I haven't tried Lubuntu 12.10 in this computer.

Best regards
Nio