HOWTO Create LiveUSB using "dd"

Sat Apr 6 15:52:32 UTC 2013

Amjjawad:

When you use the package "usb-creator-gtk", it creates for you a file
system (called a "persistence file") where changes you make (including
packages you download) remain on the USB drive, so next time you boot
it, you still have those new packages, along with any configuration you
did for them.

Using that, I can install all the MIDI music packages I need (and
configure them), and I end up with a working MIDI music Linux system,
whose drawback is that it takes longer to boot than it normally would.
The other drawback of doing this, is that if you download updates, any
kernel updates will not update the kernel actually used.

I wonder if you use the method you described in your e-mail, that there
is no persistence file, and so you are (as with the live CD) running
using a RAM-disk file-system.  If that is the case, it would have the
same large memory requirements for doing the live-CD install as when
using a CD.

For testing (I think) it is nice to download a bunch of packages you
want to test with, and you can test or re-test at a later time.

I have noticed in doing this, that I have to edit the software sources
to allow "universe" packages.

- Aere

--
Sincerely,