YouTube on Lubuntu 12.04

Thu Apr 4 19:25:12 UTC 2013

On 04/04/2013 12:02 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> I'm sure that some one, some where would be happy to receive your old
> machine. The other options to look at would be something like DSL,
> Puppy (if it still going), Xenix  etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Phill:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll keep them in mind.

I think the more minimal Linux distributions would be a problem for me,
where I do MIDI music, and I /do/ need to use Java.

Fluidsynth (Qsynth) /barely/ ran on that machine anyway.  But with a
Soundblaster card, it worked fine.  The Soundblaster 'Live!' card in it
is probably more valuable than the machine itself, and I can use the
disk drives.

The Java Sound Synthesizer also barely ran on it, but interestingly,
only on the Ubuntu-Studio system (which uses the low-latency kernel).
It doesn't seem to work on Lubuntu, which may be a problem with
non-standard installation of PulseAudio (which is required for the Java
Sound Synthesizer).

Also, for some reason, on Lubuntu, the pulse-audio control (pavucontrol)
reports two internal audio cards (rather than an internal audio card
/and/ the Soundblaster 'Live!' card.  I had to use trial-and-error to
determine which was which.  That's not something I would want to inflict
on a user.

--
Sincerely,
Aere