Lubuntu System Requirement

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 15:22:05 UTC 2013

Hi Barry and thanks a lot for your email.

Indeed, with 256MB of RAM, Chrome/Chromium will crash. Chromium actually
crashes on my Test Laptop with 512MB of RAM. Firefox on low RAM machines as
far as I noticed is much stable.

There is a Non-Official Apps for Lubuntu for testing, one of them is a
browser. If that browser prove itself as a better replacement for Chromium,
I guess we might see that on the next releases but of course, only if our
tests will show it is good and we vote for it.

https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev/+archive/non-official-apps?field.series_filter=raring

What is the CPU for that machine?
I have tested that on two, one is Due Core 1.86GHz with 512MB RAM and the
other is P4 3.0GHz with less than 512MB RAM and on both machines, Chromium
crashed either on facebook or Gmail with another tab opened (total 2 tabs)
and sometimes even one tab.

Thanks :)

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Barry Titterton
<titterton.barry at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 04/04/13 11:32, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I know but that would be changed, hopefully soon as we are trying
>> to re-design and re-write our Wiki Area but of course not the whole thing,
>> only the areas that need changes and this is one of them. Because 700MB is
>> NOT the minimum requirement for Lubuntu. The one who edited that was trying
>> to put that in a range.
>>
>> For me, in order not to be so extreme, I would say 512MB but if truth to
>> be told, Lubuntu CAN be installed and it will work on less. However,
>> performance will vary.
>>
>> No my friend, it is not about being guru or not. I'm no expert but I have
>> done tons of tests in the past because I like to do everything myself to
>> understand better.
>>
>> We are all learning here after all. NO one is expert IMHO :D
>> I learn from you, you learn from me, we both learn from others, etc.
>>
>> I'm sure you have seen my other email about the Kernel and Linux. The
>> system requirements will be changed according to the Kernel used on a
>> specific release. For example, the system requirement for Lubuntu 10.04 is
>> not the same as 12.04 :)
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>>  Hi Ali,
>
> My experience of Lubuntu is on a friend’s Toshiba with 256Mb RAM. The
> machine ran OK except for Chrome which repeatedly crashed while complaining
> of a lack of available memory. I therefore invested £10 in another 512 of
> memory. The machine is now very fast and Chrome is much happier.
>
> Barry T

*Best Regards,
amjjawad*
*https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/*