Fluxbox 1.3.2-2/Menu Icons, and How do I boot to shell...

David McDow dmcdow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:48:56 UTC 2012

To All,

I have a desktop (Dell Dimension E510, Pentium 4) and laptop (Dell D620,
Core 2 duo) that run Lubuntu 12.04 and have been quite pleased with
Lubuntu.  I have an older Pentium III manchine that is my guinea pig and
have been experimenting with different distros (Gentoo, Arch Linux, LFS
7.1, etc.).  It's currently running Arch Linux with Fluxbox 1.3.2.  I have
grown to like Fluxbox a lot.  For the menu icons to show up in Fluxbox
imlib2 and xpm must be enabled in the build.  I thought I would try to
install Fluxbox on my Lubuntu machines.

A simple "apt-get install fluxbox" installs nicely on both machines except
for the laptop.  It installed OK, but without the imlib2 and
xpm dependencies.  I tried to build from source with --enable-imlib2 and
--enable-xpm, to no avail.

It finally installed with all dependencies using "apt-get build-dep
fluxbox".  This installed about 50 mb of packages.  Then "apt-get install
fluxbox" enables imlib2 and xpm dependencies, hallelujah.  I searched like
crazy for a solution and found none specific to Lubuntu 12.04, so I though
I would share that experience.

I also have searched like crazy and can't find a solution specific to
Lubuntu 12.04 (it may be that I didn't use the right keywords).  I want to
boot Lubuntu to a shell (bypass lightdm) and go straight to a login prompt
(runlevel 3 (?)).  I don't know how else to Google this for the solution.
 I found this
http://askubuntu.com/questions/174312/how-can-i-set-my-ubuntu-12-04-lts-to-boot-to-console-without-gui
but
am reluctant to try it because it is Ubuntu-specific (I gave up on Ubuntu
after 10.10) and am not familiar with the boot process at all.

Would someone be willing to share a website (or a methodology) to bypass
lightdm and boot directly to a login prompt.

Thank you for any information,
David