Lubuntu 12.04 installation problem on Acer Aspire

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Sep 23 10:39:34 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 10:49:37AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 02:35:57PM -0400, Karl Anliot wrote:
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne/AO751h
> >
> > you should try that page first, i might have given you bad info.
> >
> It doesn't seem to say anything particularly relevant.  I'm still going
> with the alternate install, should be finished soon.

Hmm, not a great success.  The installation completed without any
problems but the computer doesn't boot successfully now.

On powering up I get the usual BIOS sequence, then lots of disk
activity, then nothing - completely blank screen.

... ah, I do have console login available though (via ALT/Fx), so the
basic OS has installed, it's just that X isn't working.

Do I need to install X as an addition to the base system? ..., no,
lubuntu-core is already installed.

There doesn't seem to be any .xsession-errors file and running startx
claims that there's a X server already running.

Wierdly, if I hit CTRL/ALT/F7 I get an X login (off centre) which
appears to work but gives me an off centre X display.  That's off centre
the the extent that only half of it appears on the top half of my
screen, the bottom half of the screen is blank (or actually the left
over console login).

--
Chris Green