[Lubuntu] Progress on playing a CD?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Sep 18 15:16:44 UTC 2012

Thanks for some useful info.

Once the CD is mounted, running "audacious cdda://" from lxterm
successfully plays the CD.  Also, if I temporarily edit
/usr/share/applications/audacious.desktop to change "Exec=audacious %U"
to "Exec=audacious cdda:", then choosing Audacious from the
Medium-Inserted popup also successfully plays the CD.

Furthermore, the main menu shortcut for Audacious also runs "audacious
%U," so the desktop Exec entry seems NOT to be specialized for
x-content/audio-cdda (though with that statement I'm venturing beyond my
actual knowledge of the operating methods here).

I can add that with the CD mounted, running "vlc cdda:" also plays the
CD.  Running "gnome-mplayer cdda:" produces a crash error as before
after the UI appears.  Running "rhythmbox cdda:" merely starts the
program without playing the CD.

More on Rhythmbox: Though its CD-playing behavior was the best of the 4
programs under Edubuntu, it is the worst under Lubuntu as I previously
posted (choosing Rhythmbox from the Medium-Inserted popup results in
nothing at all happening).  In /usr/share/applications, it has two
configuration files rather than one like the other programs.  Both of
the configuration files make use of section labels, which the other
programs' desktop files do not.  Rhythmbox.desktop in its [Desktop
Entry] section has an "Exec=rhythmbox %U" entry.
Rhythmbox-device.desktop in its [Desktop Entry] section has an
"Exec=rhythmbox-client --select-source %U" entry.

And though I'm new to Linux, I have not seen that LXDE has a config UI
similar to this one referred to for XFCE:
http://s15.postimage.org/94l94znm1/thunar_volman.png