[Lubuntu] Progress on playing a CD?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Sep 16 16:31:53 UTC 2012

That raises the question of what to file the bug report against.

-----------------
With Audacious, the inelegant process goes this way: Insert CD, the
popup with "Removable medium is inserted - Type of medium: audio CD -
Please select the action you want to perform" appears, select
Audacious.  Audacious opens.  Click the Play button.  Nothing happens.
But in the menus, then choose Services: Play CD, and it constructs a
playlist and starts the first track.

With VLC, after choosing VLC in the popup and clicking the Play button
in VLC, another window appears where one must click the Disc tab, choose
Audio CD, then click the Play button in that window.

(I also find that VLC is more memory-sensitive than Audacious. Audacious
performance for CD play is smooth on a machine with 386 MB, but VLC is
choppy/stuttering badly and is not happy with less than 512 MB.)

With Gnome Mplayer, after choosing it in the popup and clicking the Play
button, mplayer generated a crash error.  But after closing the error
window, the Mplayer window still seemed responsive, and it appeared that
one would play a CD after choosing the menu item Services: Play CD, but
in this post-crash instance nothing happened.

I make those observations because this issue does not seem to be an
application-level problem.  In Edubuntu, one inserts a CD, chooses
Rhythmbox from the popup, the app opens, constructs the playlist and
begins playing.  In short, once you have told it to play a CD with
Rhythmbox, it does so.

Suggestions then, for what to file a bug report against?