[Lubuntu] Progress on playing a CD?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed Sep 12 18:16:26 UTC 2012

Has there ever been any more progress on making it easy to play an audio
CD in Lubuntu?

Here is a good explanation of the obscure method one must currently use
to play a disc (in VLC, but the same for other players as far as I can
tell):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11334425&postcount=8

I understand that the difficulty lies in the audio CD format not being
an actual file system, but in short, one currently has to explicitly
open the disc in the player even after choosing a player in the
auto-play popup.  I read that Ubuntu accomplishes Windows-like
simplicity in this regard, and it would be nice if users didn't need a
How-To in order to play a CD.

(And before I even got to this point, I had to overcome the obstacle
that I couldn't even open the drive.  Pressing the open button got no
response - the drive appeared to be dead.  This turned out to be a user
privileges issue.  The default user privileges established when one
installs Lubuntu don't grant permission for this.)