[Lubuntu] Recoll not a good fit as a replacement for Catfish (or LXFind)

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Sep 11 14:28:12 UTC 2012

I am starting a new thread here since the discussion veered in a new
direction from the original topic (which was "LXFinder installed instead
of LXFind").

I successfully installed Recoll on Lubuntu, read most of the manual, and
had some exchange with the developer (Jean-Francois Dockes), who is
active.  The Recoll home page is at http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/.

My take: This is a content search program that will also accomplish
much-less-ambitious file name search.  The program has a sophisticated
design, is very flexible, and very well documented in English and French.

Apart from the Qt-based GUI, there is command line support, a KDE KIO
slave interface, and a programming interface.  (So if the developers of
Catfish or LXFind were so inclined, their currently
file-name-search-only tools could be extended to content search, all
through a single interface.)

The program has native support for several MIME types that commonly
store readable content, and there are filters for most of the other
common readable-content MIME types.

However impressive the program is, however, it would seem not to be a
good candidate to replace Catfish as the recommended GUI search tool for
Lubuntu.  The dev notes that it is Qt based, which seems out of step
with Lubuntu's aims for lightness.  The database index that powers such
impressive results is also very large -- depending on the mix of content
that it is indexing, the database can be 15-65% the size of the original
content (see http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/perfs.html). Memory
usage during indexing can peak at 65 to a couple hundred MB.  File-name
indexing is also not its strongest suit.  And it is tuned by default for
searching the home directory rather than the entire file system (though
with some configuration, it would seem to be possible to have it do full
content searching in the home directory and more modest searching of
file names and attributes in the file system at large).

So for the moment, I would be content if Catfish could find its way
through its error-handling bug (which I have been posting about under
the topic: "Catfish search result: Fatal error, search was aborted").