It is convenient to install Lubuntu 12.10 Beta or Lubuntu 12.04 if I have to do it now?

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 8 23:30:36 UTC 2012

Hi,

We can never say 'hand on heart' that a beta will not crash. The 12.10
cycle has been very stable. Once you put on one of the 12.10 test version
on, keeping it updated will take you all the way to final release. What I
do is keep /home on a separate partition [1], this is the best form of
backup. (Being a devout coward, I also maintain a 2nd copy of my /home
partition on a separate partition which is only periodically mounted to do
and rsync to and then gets un mounted).

Or, put another way... keep backups of your personal data!

If you do need to do a re-install, make sure to select manual partitioning
and ensure the check box to format /home is unmarked!!!!

Regards,

Phill.
1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving