Installed lubunto core, went OK, but no grub menu now

Wed Oct 31 20:33:14 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com>
To: lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Installed lubunto core, went OK, but no grub menu now
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:56:17 +0000

On 31/10/12 17:27, Aere Greenway wrote:
> All:
>
> I have been noticing in recent Linux installs (mostly Lubuntu), that
> the installer is making bad assumptions on which device to install
> GRUB on.
>
> Having been burned by GRUB being installed on the wrong device
> before, I watch closely where it's intending to install GRUB, and
> change it to what it needs to be.
>
> In the past (years ago), the assumptions on where to install GRUB
> were so reliable that I didn't even look at this, but now, I watch it
> carefully.
>
> I almost always do manual partitioning, where I have the choice of
> where to install GRUB.  I don't know if the other installation
> options give you that same choice.

This seems to depend on the age of the machine and how you select what
to boot off.  If I have go go into BIOS to tell it to boot from USB the
drive order on older machine tends to change so that the USB drive is
/dev/sda.  If there is a Fn key available to select what to boot from
then the USB drive is normally the last drive in the list.

--
Steve

Steve:

>From my hazy memory of the last time this happened, it seems that I was
installing from a bootable USB drive, and it wanted to put GRUB on the
USB drive.

It seems (from another hazy memory) that there were two hard drives, sda
and sdb, and my system was being put on a partition of sda (not the
first partition of it), and it wanted to put GRUB on sdb.