I say its time to dump lubuntu software center for deepin software center

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 31 12:25:12 UTC 2012

On 31/10/12 03:54, Greg Faith wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Mr Wislr <contact at unleashpc.com> wrote:
>> I see that there are also more tasks running in the DSC screenshot
>>
>> <snip>
>> To be fair memory would have to be judged after lubuntu is about to
>> install something once it has asked for your password
>
> Point well taken, I added ARandr using LSC and added about 40MB of memory
> to the process.  However I could not find or figure out a search
> method for arandr
> in DSC, and I am not about to sign-up to get my apts.
>
> Anyway, I rarely use any software center but I do realize new user
> might find them useful.
>
> DSC certainly has a polished look..  Ah but performance.. apt-get,
> aptitude or even (gui) Synaptic
>
> Greg nm_geo

I think you're all barking up the wrong tree with this. As these are
only run as a one off and not running all the time like a web browser
the resources used, with in reason, don't really matter.  It's the
usability aspect that matters.  Usability testing is what's needed.
One area both could be improved, and those are not the only offenders,
is a help screen.
Last night I had another less than competent user try them both out.
This users tends to work like this http://xkcd.com/763/ and they really
struggled to find and install a spreadsheet program. They did however
manage quite well with the Ubuntu Software centre. They did this last
though, so could have learnt from their previous attempts with DSC and LSC.

So I repeat, resource use for both is still neither-here-nor-there until
the usability problems are sorted.

--
Steve