Problem running Java applications on Lubuntu 12.10

Sun Oct 28 00:55:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-27 at 12:07 -0600, Aere Greenway wrote:
> All:
>
> I just noticed something running Java applications on Lubuntu 12.10, and
> it probably didn't do it before the latest updates I installed today
> (which included updates to the Java JRE/JDK's.
>
> When I run a Java application, there is no indication of it (or any of
> its sub-windows) in the taskbar!
>
> The application is obviously there, and works, but it doesn't appear in
> the taskbar.
>
> When the Java application shows a modal dialog box, that dialog box gets
> window focus, but when you finish with it (the dialog is closed), the
> main application does not get re-focused.
>
> I can't get to it via Alt-Tab.  The only application in the taskbar is
> Evolution mail.
>
> The only way I can get back to my Java application main window, is to
> actually click on the Java application's window, and I have to do that
> every single time it uses a sub-window, which is a real pain!
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
> Aere

All:

I have a bit more information on this problem.

On one of my upgraded Lubuntu systems (12.04 to 12.10), I had installed
specifically the open Java 6 JRE/JDK (instead of the default JRE/JDK,
which in 12.10, is Open Java 7).

On that machine (which doesn't have Open Java 7), everything is fine -
the Java applications are displayed on the taskbar.

So it appears to be a problem with Open Java 7.

I did still more checking on the machines that had the problem.

I found that the problem (no Java applications in the taskbar) was
present after the upgrade, and before any Java updates.

After applying the Java updates (to both Java 7 and Java 6), the problem
was still there.

So the problem was not introduced by the recent Java updates.

Sincerely,
Aere