Release notes for 12.10 - some known problems with video drivers

Wed Oct 17 19:58:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 20:18 +0100, Yorvyk wrote:

> On 17/10/12 17:54, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > I've had a chat with Kate @ Release team, please add your notes to
> > the common area[1].
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Phill. 1.
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseNotes/CommonInfrastructure
> >

> I have edited the above if any body would like to give it a read and see
> if it makes sense.

Yorvyk:

I carefully read the release notes the above link took me to.

It looks good to me.

The only thing that was confusing to me was the "or use RandR to get
correct resolution if necessary" part of the workaround.

In the Synaptic Package Manager, I didn't find a package by that name,
but on examining the search, I found "lxrandr", and I found that if I
entered lxrandr as a command in a terminal session, it fired-up a GUI
interface.  I later found that I could access the same GUI from the
launcher-menu, by selecting "Preferences", and "Monitor Settings".

Maybe everybody already knows this, but it took me some experimentation
to discover it for myself.  I also had to do an Internet search to find
out how to "blacklist" a driver.

Fortunately, with all of my machines depending on the
xserver-xorg-video-intel package, the workaround was not necessary.

--

Sincerely,
Aere