Appearance of desktop icons in Lubuntu 12.10

Hitesh Shah chimak111 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 06:09:34 UTC 2012

How many states do desktop icons have (normal/default, active, prelight,
focus, insensitive, selected)? And how may they easily visually be
differentiated?

My main problem is like this:
If I single-click on a desktop  icon (of a .png file), the icon gets a
light-blue film over it and the text below has a light blue rectangle. Call
it "State 1".
(For the remaining icons on the desktop, the desktop wallpaper is visible
behind the text and between letters of the text.)

I can now hit enter to open it with Image Viewer. No problem so far.

Then, if I close Image Viewer, the appearance of the icon and it's text is
virtually unchanged but if I hit enter, the .png file doesn't open in Image
Viewer. Nothing happens. Clearly, the icon is now in another "state",
"State 2".

Now, if I single-click on the icon and look carefully, the film over the
icon appears very slightly brighter and then hitting enter opens the file
in Image Viewer as expected.

I want to have the visual difference between State 1 and State 2 to be
enhanced.

Are there some files I could edit to achieve this?

I'm running Lubuntu 12.10 (and just a couple of weeks old with Lubuntu).

(I could do what I wanted when I was using Ubuntu 11.10 and Nautilus:
http://askubuntu.com/a/89929/25656.)