X failing to start on Acer Aspire one - have just upgraded to latest kernel on 12.04

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Oct 11 10:56:01 UTC 2012

I am trying to get Lubuntu 12.04 working properly on my Acer Aspire One.

Up until today it was having display problems which I thought I had
fixed by adding the nomodeset parameter to grub (but even that didn't
seem to be wholly working).

I have just done an "apt-get udpate" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade"
and now it fails to display a GUI altogether, I just get a black screen.

>From the console login I can see that it's basically working, it's just
that X is dead.  The .xsession-errors file is:-

    /usr/sbin/lightdm-session: 5: /home/chris/.xprofile: xbindkeys: not found

    (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1788): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

    (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1788): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
    ** Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon
    ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area
    ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for Dbusmenu
    ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for Unity
    WARNING:root:can not import unity GI cannot import name Dbusmenu

    (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1788): Gdk-WARNING **: polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

    XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
          after 3315 requests (3315 known processed) with 2 events remaining.

    (nm-applet:1804): Gdk-WARNING **: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

    (notification-daemon:1792): Gdk-WARNING **: notification-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

    pcmanfm: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.
    lxpanel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file doesn't seem to have any obvious errors.

X is actually running, just doesn't display anything.

    root       953   922  0 11:29 tty7     00:00:05 /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch -background none

Any ideas anyone as to what to do to get this to work?

Aha!  It's back to the original problem (which I thought nomodeset had
cured), when I hit CTRL-ALT-F7 to go back to the GUI I get half a screen
of GUI with a totally broken mouse interface to it.

--
Chris Green