xxxterm/xombrero

maps.backward at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:24:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:39:57 +0200
Martin Bagge / brother <brother at bsnet.se> wrote:

> On 2012-10-09 04:24, Hitesh Shah wrote:

> > The Bodhi people have a good way out: ship a browser that's good
> > enough to use but lightweight enough to be "the browser to download
> > another browser with".

> Explain to me the differences between
> 1) shipping an outdated version of chromium and
> 2) shipping a browser that is "good enough to download another browser
> with".
> I really can not see how those is not the same.

You made me take a second glance at this and I have to wonder what the point is, too.

My original point was to suggest a browser that is more in line with the goals of Lubuntu (lightweight) while not suffering the myriad of problems we face with getting chromium updated (and secured) not to mention avoiding the rash of recent crashes and subsequently featuring a focus on security.

My point is not to include something substandard, but to actually include something better.

wxl, who uses apt to install browsers and even sometimes a combination of wget/git/bzr+dpkg/make so there. ;)