[Lubuntu] No pulseaudio explains no local sound on LTSP clients?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed Oct 3 15:00:05 UTC 2012

I haven't gotten very far into this problem yet, but I have found that
alsa and pulseaudio serve different functions.  This link --
http://askubuntu.com/questions/169797/should-both-alsa-and-pulseaudio-be-installed
-- indicates that alsa is a layer closer to the sound card drivers
(which I read elsewhere are in the Linux kernel), and that pulseaudio is
a "sound server," which is a layer closer to the sound apps.  So the
sound apps talk to pulseaudio, which talks to alsa, which talks to the
sound card driver.

Though apparently that is not the only way to get the job done, since
some apps don't require pulseaudio and deal directly with alsa.

It occurs to me that this problem may relate to another open thread I
have posted in this list, with topic: "[Lubuntu] Progress on playing a
CD?"  I found there that no media player I tested knew how to start
playing a CD smoothly the way one does in Edubuntu.  There, when one
inserts the CD and chooses from the popup to play the CD with Rhythmbox,
the latter opens up and starts playing the CD.  In Lubuntu, neither
Audacious, Gnome Mplayer, VLC or Rhythmbox does likewise.  Even for the
best-performing of them (Audacious and VLC), one has to click at least a
couple more items in the program after it has opened.  And I couldn't
get Gnome Mplayer or Rhythmbox to do the job at all.