Mouse cursor theme and Customize Look and Feel

Ryan Porter websterhamster at felton4h.net
Mon Nov 12 06:11:49 UTC 2012

>It's not a bug. It's the limitation of X11.This is one of the many things that Windows can do well and X >cannot.
>Changing cursors on the fly requires XFIXES extension to X11.
>Besides, not all applications/GUI toolkits have proper support for this.
>In addition, KDE, Qt, gtk, and gtk with xsettings running all acquire
>settings for cursors from totally different places.
>There is no common spec for this. So it's totally in a mess.
>LXDE already did its best to overcome this issue with some hacks in lxappearance.

This is very interesting (I love learning new things!). Ubuntu and its
flavors are the only distros I've ever tried that have had this problem
(strange as it may seem this is one of the first things I check when I
test a new distro).

So how about this for a suggestion, although I know it will be a lot of
work for someone. How about we write our own specification and make it
work, then try to get other Linux users and developers to accept it? I
love making waves, and when they're productive it's even better! :)

Ryan