[RFC]Application menu entries leave a lot to be desired

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 11 10:06:43 UTC 2012

Le 11/10/2012 09:50 PM, Yorvyk a écrit :
> We had a rather short session on this, but the consensus was that some
> entries don't make it obvious what they are. Things like gnumeric and
> sylpheed are not well known and don't really give a clue from their
> name what they do. I know they have tool-tips to expand the
> description, but if you're just opening menus looking for an
> application these don't show up until you hover over the entry. The
> suggestion was to have simple entries like spreadsheet or email. When
> I suggested that some people may have more than one spreadsheet or
> word-processor installed they were puzzles why, but agreed that some
> thing like sylpheed e-mail client would be OK. So we ended up with the
> following, others may need to be dealt with, but these were the most
> obvious in the short time we had.
>
> Audacious Music Player
> Calculator - (with a 'C' not a 'G' as this looks like a typo)
> Evince PDF Viewer
> Gnumeric Spreadsheet
> Guvcview Web-cam viewer
> Leafpad Editor
> Mplayer Video Player
> Sylpheed E-mail Client
> Transmission Bit-torrent
> Xpad Notes
>
> We'll have a look at others and the tool tips next time I see them.
It's actually an upstream problem. To be clean, we need to report a bug
on each application. If we patch them manually, we will lose the
upstream translations, and we will have to do the translation ourself
for the strings we patched.

There is a project about improving the internationalization support (see
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-r-lubuntu-work-items).
This item should be part of it.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne