Can a USB Device link appear on Desktop when mounted?

Sat Nov 10 17:17:23 UTC 2012

All:

All but two of my machines will not boot from USB devices on their own
(they need the 'plop' CD to do that trick).  So the worry about it
inadvertently booting from the USB drive is seldom a concern to me.

Often, in updating software in my test-bed computers, I will insert the
USB drive, and respond to the messages (I have two partitions on the USB
drive - one for booting, and the other for file transfer), so I get two
such dialog boxes asking what to do with each found partition.

So in updating the Lubuntu system in my first hard-drive partition, it
works as you described.

Then, to update the other partition(s), I leave the USB drive plugged in
(since it's a pain to crawl down behind the machine to plug it in, or
un-plug it (yeah, I'm to miserly to buy a USB extender cable), and it
always requires a flashlight to plug it in).

I quickly learned to update the Lubuntu partition first, since it seemed
not to see the USB drive partitions if I booted Lubuntu with it already
plugged-in.

The other partitions (Ubuntu-Studio (XFCE), Ubuntu, and Kubuntu) are all
able to recognize the USB drive partitions when it is already plugged-in
during the boot-from-hard-disk process.

This experience comes mostly from Lubuntu 12.04 (and some from 11.10).
I don't know if it is still a problem in 12.10 because I have learned to
avoid having the USB drive plugged-in while booting Lubuntu.

- Aere