[Lubuntu] How to unmount a camera from the command line?

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 3 08:54:10 UTC 2012

On 03/11/12 00:02, John Hupp wrote:
> Despite what I wrote below, I had the further thought that, "Yes, I
> would like to know how to write udev rules, and if I can find a
> well-written how-to, then I'll move ahead."
>
> And indeed, I believe I found such a document at
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>
> But after plowing through the whole thing, I encountered this
> mysterious warning in his USB Camera section:
>
> Like most, my camera identifies itself as an external hard disk
> connected over the USB bus, using the SCSI transport. To access my
> photos, I mount the drive and copy the image files onto my hard
> disk.
>
> Not all cameras work in this way: some of them use a non-storage
> protocol such as cameras supported by gphoto2. In the gphoto case,
> you do not want to be writing rules for your device, as is it
> controlled purely through userspace (rather than a specific kernel
> driver).
>
> Though I don't understand what he was saying about userspace, I
> observe that pcmanfm displays the camera files locationas
> gphoto2://[usb:003,004] rather than a usual device or file system
> path. Plus /dev/disk seems to have no reference to the camera
> memory.
>
> Does this seem like a udev rule show-stopper when it comes to solving
>  this problem?

I remember this been a monumental pain to set up, unfortunately the
camera died in a flood so we no longer have anything to refer back to.
We did use http://capture.sourceforge.net/ apparently. Whether we used
this directly or just gained ides/info from it we can't remember, but it
may be of some use even though it doesn't mention your camera.

--
Steve