Meeting Minutes online 2012-05-16

Peter Matulis peter.matulis at canonical.com
Thu May 24 13:00:54 UTC 2012

On 05/22/2012 09:57 AM, Cyber Penguin wrote:

> If Lubuntu is going to get just a slight marketshare we have to abandon
> this way of thinking. The first step is to take people's opinions
> seriously - "people" meaning everyone who gets in touch with the system.
> We should not only pay respect to their vote, but actively seek their
> opinion.

It is reasonable that those who contribute their time and effort (not
necessarily coding) to a project have more say in how that project
evolves and grows.  This is the way of the open source world and it is
very common sense.

> Some people here need to ask themselves: Why is Apple such a succes? For
> the most part it comes from a no-compromise focus on the end-user and
> his needs and wishes. Imagine going to a board meeting at Apple
> suggesting that only "contributors" have a word to say...

Apple succeeds because it has the uncanny ability to *tell* users what
they want and then delivers it in a quality package.  Their success is
most certainly not due to following users' wishes.  So this comparison
is faulty to a very high degree.

--
Peter Matulis