Order

Will Fong will at digitaldev.com
Wed May 16 16:16:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Matthew Byers <stlsaint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>  Beauty of linux....you can always use another or make your own OS!!! Just be respectful to all. No with Chris gone, (sad for me as well) we need to come together as a team and look to the future.

Hi.

I don't want to take any sides on the matter, but I wanted to mention
a little about this point, from a general perspective (not strictly
about Lubuntu or the current issue) and taken out of the OP context.

One of the biggest problems I see with Linux (and many open source
projects) is this extreme freedom to do whatever we want. While I
truly appreciate having the freedom of choice, it puts us all into a
bit of an elitist mindset that if others don't do what I want, I'll
make my own. To me, this is anti-community. There are so many choices
for software. What if we worked together instead of continually
forking code?

We should learn to be more tolerant of other people's choices. We are
all smart here. We all have different perspectives and experiences
that we bring to the table and use to make decisions.

Let's work together and be more tolerant of other people's choices to
make Lubuntu great.  For example, if the leaders of Lubuntu make a
decision that some people don't like, let's not "vote with our
keyboard" by expressing disappointment on public forums or switching
to a different distribution. "Vote" by creating a documentation guide
explaining why this particular decision does not satisfy your use case
and requirements (saying it "sucks" isn't helpful for anyone), and how
to switch to your way. Our software freedom allows that quite nicely

:-)

-will